Thread: Bro

Senior Member(無間使者)

Bro

I've noticed the frequent use of the word "bro" or "brother" on this forum. Almost every member uses it. I find this a little intriguing since I rarely notice this phrase being used much, in everyday talk or online. I know it's quite popular amongst the Lebanese community but didn't realise Asians use it too.

Banned
    A term of endearment, like mate, bro.

I wonder what percentage of forum members are Asian ?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    bro I hear people saying bro all the time, don't know what you mean bro

Banned
    The attitude of some people who they don't agree with your beliefs is really medieval
    and bordering on bullying and a big brother's club.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    OK I'm glad someone brought this up because I actually have some feelings about it.

I think Ahlungor etc had a big hand in the use of the word 'brother' when this forum was established and I actually commend him for doing so, because he tried to get a feeling of harmony and bonding between the members. It's actually a very powerful word, as the word gives similar feelings of a real brother would, and is also used by religious organisations for this very purpose.

Likewise Ahlungor also uses the word 'uncle' to describe himself, and this creates feelings of affection in the other persons mind. Eg he says he is Babycats 'uncle' (albeit one who wants to plough her at 533) and she has also developed feelings of affection towards him.

So when I first read this forum and saw the word, I really liked it, HOWEVER, after being a part of this forum and noticing the amount of fighting and put downs that go on here, I refuse to use it because I think that to use the word 'brother' to describe random members here is an insult to the word itself!

Yes, the Lebanese community uses this word but then again, their friendships actually ARE like real brothers, who would do anything for each other. Incidentally, I will use the word Bro when I PM Crusader, who actually is Lebanese.

So in summary, i think that if we want to call each other 'brother' then we have to think of ourselves as a family first!

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼) Pussyhands's Avatar
    Not the political party family first but the words itself ahhaha

Calling someone a bro is treating them like a some body - not a nobody

Banned
    How about the following: -

"G'day fella!"
    "Hey guys"
    "You better watch out buddy!"
    "Hey mate, what are you up to?"
    And the obvious when you haven't seen a mate for a while..."hey stranger!"

Senior Member(無間使者)
    The fobs use Bro a lot.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    its such a common thing to say that half the time you don't even realise you're saying it and i'm guilty of it

Junior Member(有D料到)
    One drunk customer used to come to my workplace.
    When I offered him a water, "hey bro, here's a glass of water for you".
    He replied me "please don't call me bro, I'm not your bro" with his unhappy face.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natsu View Post
    One drunk customer used to come to my workplace.
    When I offered him a water, "hey bro, here's a glass of water for you".
    He replied me "please don't call me bro, I'm not your bro" with his unhappy face.
    Yeah I also used to have a friend who didn't like random people calling him bro!

I think it's a great word, but my point is if you say bro or especially brother, then you should also ACT like one!